As part of my commitment to eat cleaner and get more veggies in me in addition to losing weight, I've began having a salad for lunch every day. It's homemade, chopped, and delicious. I actually make enough for four to five servings of this salad to store in the refrigerator. The avocado combined with the olive oil give it a wonderful flavor, and the protein source I tend to stick with (turkey salami or deli ham or turkey breast) have enough sodium in them so there really is no need to use a salad dressing or salt. The olive oil also prevents the salad from getting soggy. It's a very healthy make-ahead meal. Win/win!
· 2 cups fresh baby spinach
· 1/4 to 1/2 cup raw broccoli, florets only
· 1/4 to 1/2 cup raw cauliflower, florets only
· 1/8 to 1/4 cup raw red bell pepper, diced
· 1/8 cup raw corn, fresh from the cob
· 1/8 cip tomato, diced
· 1/4 cup diced cucumber, raw with peel
· 1/4 a medium haas avocado, cubed
· 1 tsp 100% pure extra virgin olive oil
· protein source (I love turkey cotto salami!)
· 1 hard-boiled egg white, chopped
· 1/2 oz reduced-fat feta or grated parmesan cheese
· coarsely ground black pepper
Chop all vegetables and combine together. Drizzle with the olive oil and stir well to combine. Seal and store in the refrigerator until ready to eat.
To serve: Give the salad a good stir. Add however much you want to a plate or bowl. Top with your protein, hard-boiled egg white, cheese, and black pepper. Stir well to combine the flavors. Enjoy. (=